Sunday, October 26, 2008

Rule of Thumb

Dr Debbie Gill told me this saying comes from England and the meaning was intended to be instructions for men. They were allowed to beat their wives with a stick, so long as it was no larger in circumference then their thumb. Thus we have the expression "rule of thumb". I think this is one phrase that I will drop from my vocabulary! I could laugh and say "be sure to marry a man with small hands, or at least a skinny thumb. Preferably no thumbs"! However facts tell us that abuse is prevalent today. For example, what do you think the #1 reason for women visiting emergency rooms is? Dr Nancy Nason Clark and Dr Cathie Kroeger have done the research and the answer is ...partner abuse. Sigh. Must break the heart of our creator, my Lord and my God. And... Jesus wept. #end
Publish Post

No comments: