Monday, June 29, 2009

His eye is on the sparrow...and I know He is watching you


Hey friends when you look closely at the photo do you wonder what it could be?  It looks like a piece of art right? It is not art ..please read on.

 My two friends and I were standing chatting in the cool of the evening in front of our apartment when an unusual sight caught my eye. I brought their attention to the little bird hoping on the lawn in front of us with his head poking out from under, what appeared to be, a piece of news print or a flyer of some sort. I commented. "How is it possible that the little bird is carrying such a large piece of paper with its foot ...its strange that its not using its beak". We stood oberving as he continued to amuse us hopping ackwardly across the grass. "Well, said Hazel, "I've never seen anything like that!" Then Alice piped up "Maybe its tangled by some string or thing under the paper?"

 I quickly slipped up to the bird and cautiously crouched down as the ladies watched me. I was speaking in soft comforting tones, "Hey... little fellow... let me take a look"...he paused and I gently reached for the wee sparrow and discovered he was "glued" to a 4"X6" piece of cardboard! He cocked his little head and looked at me with pleading eyes. Cautiously I  tugged at the wing that was adhered and could see much of the "downy feathers" had been completly torn off his body and were stuck all over the card board, he must have been struggeling for a very long time.There were bits of twigs, flower petals, and plastic artifical grass stuck fast to the card too. On close examination I deducted that there was not choice I would have to tear out a couple of very strong feathers in order to free my liittle friend. Holding him gently tight, like getting a knot out of a toddlers hair, so as not to hurt the little one. I snapped the two feathers while cooing the words  "Your OK,  here let me help you" ...and he did let me help. With in seconds he took to the air, he was free!
The three of us were in awe; he had a wee struggle and a gimped flutter but he gracefully landed in a near by tree. We looked at the card board "trap" and wondered if any other animals, such as our little bunnies, get caught unintentionally  in these sticky haszardous cockroach things. Who would have thought they could be such a risk? How would any of God's creatures ever get unglued with out human help?

Since then, every morning, and in the cool of the evening, I hear one little bird who seems to sing a little sweeter ...perphaps a little shriller,  than the others. And some times a sparrow lands on my patio railing...I am pretty sure it must be the little fellow that I set free, sigh, he is just wanting to thank me. Smile.  Or is it his mother?

"And not one sparrow will fall to the ground without your Father knowing" Math 10:29




Windows Live helps you keep up with all your friends, in one place.

No comments: